The Snowboarding Program at Stratton Mountain School is recognized as one of the top programs in the nation and is committed to providing each student with the opportunity to pursue excellence in competitive winter sports and college preparatory academics.
While having one of the most rewarding experiences in their young lives, our committed and goal-oriented athletes have access to state-of-the-art training facilities, including the newly built Air Awareness Center which features a skating area, mini ramps, and weight room area, as well as a foam pit, two trampolines, and a super-trampoline. More importantly, full-time, on-campus coaches guide every aspect of training. Snowboarding athletes have garnered medals at local, regional, national, and international levels.
Full Term Program
The Full Term Program at Stratton Mountain School is a complete academic year for students in grades 8–12.
Winter Term Program
The Winter Term Program is a five-month program from November to March for students in grades 7–8. The program introduces students to the demands and rewards of a winter sports academy.
The Postgraduate Program is designed for athletes looking to continue training and competing after high school. The program provides athletes with the opportunity to train and compete in an elite and structured environment before moving on to a collegiate or national team.
Snowboarding training camps are offered to athletes throughout the year and allow athletes to focus on their training goals even during the off-season. SMS Snowboarding Camps aim to improve technique and tactics through individualized training plans.
Schedule a Visit
Come visit our beautiful campus, tour the state-of-the-art training facilities, check out an academic class and train with us for a day! Contact Jim Sullivan in Admissions to schedule your visit or request information about SMS.
2018-2019 Season Highlights
- All SMS Snowboarding athletes qualified for USASA Nationals
- Thirteen podium finishes for SMS Snowboarding athletes at USASA Nationals
- Eight top-ten finishes for SMS Snowboarding athletes in the 2018-2019 Toyota U.S. Revolution Tour
- Zeb Powell `19 graduated as a Red Bull athlete, and is now pursuing a professional career
- 1st among the Pro Men at the Red Bull Parkway competition at Mountain Creek Resort
- 2nd at the SKLOF Finals in Brighton, Utah
- Joey Okesson `20 represented the U.S. in Halfpipe at Junior World Championships
- TJ Fitzgerald `19 represented the U.S. in Slopestyle and Big Air at Junior World Championships
- Lindsey Jacobellis `03 won Gold in the first-ever mixed-team snowboardcross competition alongside Mick Dierdorff at the FIS Snowboard World Championships
- Five SMS Snowboarding athletes invited to U.S. Ski and Snowboard’s Project Gold Training Camp
- Program Director Ross Powers `97 was named to the Vermont Sports Hall of Fame
2019-20 U.S. Ski & Snowboard Team Members
- Alex Deibold ‘04 SBX A Team
- Lindsey Jacobellis ‘03 SBX A Team
|Full Term Program: Grades 8–12|
|Winter Term Program: Grades 7-8|
|College Acceptances 2018-2019|
|Sierra Nevada College|
|University of Colorado - Boulder|
|University of Denver|
|University of Hawaii|