The SMS Freeskiing program is one of the top freeskiing programs in the country and has been a driving force in the sport’s growth in the East and across the nation. Committed, goal-oriented student-athletes are able to pursue excellence both in academics and athletics in the SMS Freeskiing program, while having one of the most rewarding experiences of their young lives at Stratton Mountain School!
SMS Freeskiing athletes benefit from the same structurally rewarding atmosphere that breeds success in our alpine, freestyle, nordic, and snowboarding programs. SMS is renowned for having the best coaches and premier winter sports facilities at the base of Stratton Mountain. The Freeskiing program proudly meets the school’s top-tier standards. Students have access to our state-of-the-art training facilities, including the SMS gymnasium, Sports Science Lab and sports medicine facility, and the new Air Awareness Center which features a skating area, mini ramps, weight room area, as well as a foam pit, two trampolines, and one super-trampoline. More importantly, full-time, on-campus coaches guide every aspect of training and preparation.
SMS Freeskiing athletes have garnered medals at all levels—locally, regionally, nationally, internationally—including current podiums on the national level in Slopestyle and Big Air, with an SMS team member earning her spot on the current U.S. Rookie Freeskiing Team.
Full Term Program
The Full Term Program at Stratton Mountain School is a complete academic year for students in grades 8–12.
Winter Term Program
The Winter Term Program is a five-month program from November to March for students in grades 7–8. The program introduces students to the demands and rewards of a winter sports academy.
The Postgraduate Program is designed for athletes looking to continue training and competing after high school. The program provides athletes with the opportunity to train and compete in an elite and structured environment before moving on to a collegiate or national team.
The Freeskiing Program offers a range of training camps throughout the year. These camps aim to improve technique and tactics with individualized training plans. Athletes focus on their training goals with the support of the SMS Freeskiing Coaches.
Schedule a Visit
Come visit our beautiful campus, tour the state-of-the-art training facilities, check out an academic class and train with us for a day! Contact Director of Admissions, Kate Nolan, to schedule your visit or click here to request information about SMS.
2018 Season Highlights
- Caroline Claire ‘18 finished 23rd at the 2018 Winter Olympics, also earned World Cup win and two World Cup podiums.
- Mac Forehand ‘20 - Overall NorAm Slopestyle Champion, USSA Junior National Slopestyle Championship title, and USASA Open Class Slopestyle Champion.
- The entire SMS team qualified for finals in Big Air during USSA Junior National Championships; Mac Forehand 1st, Henrik de Jounge ‘18, 3rd.
- Two EastFree Tour Championship titles
- Two wins at Rev Tour events
- SMS Freeskiing Program Director, Jesse Mallis, recognized as the U.S. Ski & Snowboard Freeskiing Coach of the Year.
2018-19 U.S. Ski & Snowboard Team Members
- Caroline Claire ‘18 (Pro Slopestyle Team)
- Mac Forehand ‘20 (Rookie Slopestyle Team)