The Alpine Program at Stratton Mountain School is the premier program for ski racing in the nation. It is run at the highest standards for coaching, athlete management (conditioning, equipment, nutrition, sports psychology) and most importantly, governance and safety. The Alpine Program focuses on the complete development of athletes in the U14–U21 age groups. With over 45 years of perfecting athlete development, Stratton Mountain School has helped promote 14 alpine athletes to the Olympics with a combined total of 22 Olympic placements.
It’s hard to beat our morning views from Stratton Mountain Resort! Think this could be you? Visit www.goSMS.org/admissions to learn more about Stratton Mountain School’s Alpine, Freeski, Freestyle, Nordic, and Snowboard programs, outstanding academic opportunities, and vibrant campus community #GoSMS #AcademicsAndAthletics #StrivingForExcellence
Posted by Stratton Mountain School on Wednesday, March 6, 2019
Full Term Program
The Full Term Program at Stratton Mountain School is a complete academic year for students in grades 7–12.
Winter Term Program
The Winter Term Program is a five-month program from November to March for students in grades 7–8. The program introduces students to the demands and rewards of a winter sports academy.
The Postgraduate Program is designed for athletes looking to continue training and competing after high school. The program provides athletes with the opportunity to train and compete in an elite and structured environment before moving on to a collegiate or national team.
Camps (SMS Students Only)
The Alpine Program offers a variety of training camps throughout the year, even during the off-season. These camps aim to improve technique and tactics on snow and in the gym. Athletes focus on their training goals with the support of the SMS Alpine Coaches.
Development Camps (Open Enrollment)
Stratton Mountain School’s Development Camps are open to U10–U16 racers and offer young racers the opportunity to train ski academy coaching and training. Athletes engage in extensive SL and GS gate training, skill development through drills, video analysis, and tech talks. SMS Development Camps are open to any racer and are scheduled throughout the year from early season through spring, and finally, the summer. These are 3-5 day sessions and longer summer camps at various locations, intended to provide young racers with extra training and an introduction to the SMS experience.
Schedule a Visit
Visit our beautiful campus, tour the state-of-the-art training facilities, check out an academic class and train with us for a day! Contact Jim Sullivan in Admissions to schedule your visit or click here to request information about SMS.
2018-2019 Season Highlights
- Alice Merryweather `15 was the Downhill National Champion at U.S. Nationals, finished 4th in GS, and scored 76 World Cup points throughout the season.
- Nick Krause `11 won the Overall Nor-Am GS Title and earned a World Cup spot for the 2019-2020 season
- Spencer Smith `16 finished 3rd in Slalom at U.S. Junior National Championships
- Five U19 athletes qualified for U.S. Junior National Championships
- Six SMS Alpine athletes qualified for the U19 National Performance Series
- The U19 Men claimed thirteen FIS Overall Podiums and eight FIS U19 Podiums
- The U19 Women claimed two FIS Overall Podiums and seven FIS U19 Podiums
- Three podium finishes at the 2018 South American Cup
- One U18 podium finish at World Junior Championships
- Eight U16 athletes qualified for U16 National Championships
- Four podium finishes at U16 National Championships
- Six U16 athletes qualified for the U16 National Performance Series
- Six podium finishes at U16 State Championships
- One U16 State Championship Title
- One U16 athlete qualified for the 2019 Opa Cup
- All U14 athletes (19) qualified for U14 State Championships
- Four top-ten results at U14 States
- Seven U14 athletes qualified for U14 State Championships
- Three top-ten results at U14 Eastern Championships
2019-20 National Team Members
- Alice Merryweather `15 U.S. Ski Team, Women’s B Team
- George Steffey `15 U.S. Ski Team, Men’s C Team
- Diego Holscher `20 Chilean National Ski Team
|Full Term Program: Grades 7–12|
|Winter Term Program: Grades 7-8|
|Alpine Camps for SMS Students|
|Alpine Camps for Non-SMS Students|
|SMS Alpine 2018-2019 College Acceptances|
|Albany College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences|
|Babson College (2)|
|Castleton State University|
|Colby Sawyer College (3)|
|Harvard College (2)|
|Middlebury College (2)|
|Plymouth State University (2)|
|St. Lawrence University (2)|
|St. Michael’s College (3)|
|U.S. Military Academy - West Point|
|University of Colorado - Boulder|
|University of Denver (3)|
|University of New Hampshire|
|University of Vermont (3)|