The SMS Nordic Program has combined sport science, a proven training program, and efficient workouts to boast one of the most successful Nordic programs in the country. It’s unprecedented national and international success has produced more than 16 Olympians in the past seven Winter Olympics. Over 30 SMS Nordic athletes have made the U.S. World Junior Team and 20 have made the U.S. National Team.
Since the founding of the school in 1972, the Nordic Program’s mission has been to provide an environment that offers each student the opportunity to pursue excellence in competitive winter sports and college-preparatory academics while developing strong personal values. The SMS mission is possible because of committed students, a professional coaching staff, and a prestigious teaching faculty. SMS Nordic athletes develop a training foundation that prepares them for the international level.
SMS cross-country skiers have had remarkable success because of their unique focus. The young athletes acquire a love for the sport and develop the technical skills they need to build upon in later years. As U16s and U14s enter the program, the SMS Nordic coaches focus on building technique and speed, while introducing the athletes to a systematic training regimen. As the athletes progress to U18s and U20s, the program then builds into more systematic and specific training.
The Full Term Program at Stratton Mountain School is a complete academic year for student-athletes in grades 8–12 and postgraduates.
The Winter Term at SMS is a 5-month program from November to March for student-athletes in grades 7–8. The Winter Term Program is intended to introduce student-athletes to the demands and rewards of a winter sports academy.
The Nordic Program at SMS offers a range of training camps throughout the year. These camps aim to improve technique and tactics with individualized training plans. Athletes focus on their training goals with the support of the SMS Nordic staff.
Schedule a Visit
Come visit our beautiful campus, tour the state-of-the-art training facilities, check out an academic class and train with us for a day! Contact Director of Admissions, Kate Nolan, to schedule your visit.
In 2015, the SMS Nordic Team had:
- 6 skiers qualify for World Championships
- Top US result at World Championships (2nd)
- Top US result at U23 World Championships (6th)
- Top US result at Junior World Championships (6th)
- 14 current athletes qualified for Junior Nationals
- Extended streak to 19 years with at least one World Junior Team member
- Extended streak to 19 years with at least one gold at Junior Nationals
In 2014, the SMS Nordic Team had:
- 5 skiers qualify for the Sochi Olympics
- The top US Cross Country Olympic result (6th)
- Top US result at U23 World Championships (2nd)
- Top US result at World Junior Championships (10th)
- Top US result at U.S. Ski Team U18 Trip (8th)
- Extended streak to 18 years with at least one World Junior Team member
- Extended streak to 18 years with at least one gold at Junior Nationals