The SMS Nordic Program has combined sport science, a proven training program, and efficient workouts to boast one of the most successful Nordic programs in the country. Its unprecedented national and international success has produced more than 16 Nordic Olympians in the past seven Winter Olympics. More than 30 Nordic athletes have made the U.S. World Junior Team and 20 SMS athletes have made the U.S. National Team.
Since the founding of the school in 1972, the Nordic Program’s mission has been to provide an environment that offers each student the opportunity to pursue excellence in competitive winter sports and college-preparatory academics while developing strong personal values. The SMS mission is possible because of committed students, a professional coaching staff and a prestigious teaching faculty. SMS Nordic athletes develop a training foundation that prepares them for the international level.
SMS cross-country skiers have had remarkable success because of their unique focus. The young athletes acquire a love for the sport and develop the technical skills they need to build upon in later years. As U16s and U14s enter the program, the SMS Nordic coaches focus on building technique and speed, while introducing the athletes to a systematic training regimen. As the athletes progress to U18s and U20s, the program then builds into more systematic and specific training.
In 2015, the SMS Nordic Team had:
- 6 skiers qualify for World Championships
- Top US result at World Championships (2nd)
- Top US result at U23 World Championships (6th)
- Top US result at Junior World Championships (6th)
- 14 current athletes qualified for Junior Nationals
- Extended streak to 19 years with at least one World Junior Team member
- Extended streak to 19 years with at least one gold at Junior Nationals
In 2014, the SMS Nordic Team had:
- 5 skiers qualify for the Sochi Olympics
- The top US Cross Country Olympic result (6th)
- Top US result at U23 World Championships (2nd)
- Top US result at World Junior Championships (10th)
- Top US result at U.S. Ski Team U18 Trip (8th)
- Extended streak to 18 years with at least one World Junior Team member
- Extended streak to 18 years with at least one gold at Junior Nationals